Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature from The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is Readalikes: Books if you like a certain tv/show/movie/play/comic, etc. I seem to have acquired a few books that center on the ballet recently, and think if you like films about the ballet, such as Black Swan, these ballet themed books may appeal to you.
About Black Swan: A ballet dancer wins the lead in “Swan Lake” and is perfect for the role of the delicate White Swan – Princess Odette – but slowly loses her mind as she becomes more and more like Odile, the Black Swan. (IMDB)
Black Swan is a psychological thriller type, but if you hunger for more books set in the ballet world maybe one of these books will strike your fancy.
Top 10 Books to Read if you like Black Swan:
1. Bunheads by Sophie Flack – A nineteen-year-old juggles the demands of ballet, life and romance, and has to decide if being a bunhead is what she truly wants.
2. Pointe by Brandy Colbert -A recent release that features a lot of big issues in the narrative including: ballet, eating disorders, and a kidnapping. The author has a dance background to draw upon so she knows her stuff.
3. Various Positions by Martha Schabas – This book is about a fourteen-year-old dancer who becomes obsessed with her teacher.
4. Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black – Dance of Shadows is about the ballet world and also has a paranormal twist.
5. The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan -This book is about two sisters and takes place in Belle Époque Paris. This story was inspired by Degas’ Little Dancer Aged Fourteen and follows the dancer Marie, a student at the Paris Opera Ballet.
6. The Cranes Dance by Meg Howrey -Kate Crane is a dancer in the NYC Ballet Company, where until recently her sister also danced. This book examines the sister bond and the competitive world of dance.
7. Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead – This recent release also looks at the NYC Ballet world, and the scars the ballet world leaves over generations.
8. Audition by Stasia Ward Kehoe -This verse novel follows a young girl pursuing her dream as she battles jealousy, eating disorders, and balancing dance, school and romance.
9. dancergirl by Carol M. Tanzman – A young dancer gets some unwanted attention when a video of her dancing at a party goes viral.
10. A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson – Historical fiction about a nineteen-year-old girl who escapes her family and the fiancé she doesn’t want to join the ballet.
What are your favorite books or movies about the ballet?