Today’s topic for those participating in Armchair BEA is: Best Books of the year (so far) and most anticipated titles for the rest of the year. Let’s get started!
Best Books of 2011: Early Favorites:
1. Chime by Franny Billingsley – Lovely, inventive and original. Chime is a stand-out with strong characters and a magical story. Loved it!
2. The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder – A strong, contemporary story told in verse that’s full of heart and emotion.
3. Delirium by Lauren Oliver – Heart-wrenching and beautifully written. A love story set in a dystopian society where love is forbidden.
4. Divergent by Veronica Roth – One of my favorite dystopian books since The Hunger Games. Filled with heart-stopping action – I couldn’t put it down.
5. The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab – The Near Witch is deliciously eerie and captivating, with a suspenseful fairytale quality.
6. Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal – Well-written and compelling coming of age book set in 1980s New York.
7. Strings Attached by Judy Blundell – Beautifully told 1950 era New York coming of age book about a struggling dancer who gets caught up with the mob.
8. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand – Recommended for those weary of Angel-centered books. This is the best of the bunch.
9. Where She Went by Gayle Forman – Just as good, if not better than If I Stay. Loved Adam’s voice and the unexpected way the story unfolds.
10. Wither by Lauren DeStefano – Fast paced and disturbing dystopian book centering around 3 sister wives. A dramatic and fascinating read.
The back half of 2011 looks to be amazing with lots of great new releases to get excited about. These are a few I’ve heard are at BEA that I would be seeking out:
Forever by Maggie Stiefvater
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
Crossed by Ally Condie
Fateful by Claudia Gray
I’m sure there are tons more books at BEA to get excited about. What are you looking forward to reading this year? Do we have any 2011 favorites in common?