Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by the nice folks at The Broke and the Bookish featuring a new top ten list each week. Everyone can participate- head on over to their blog and sign up.
This week’s topic is Top Ten Books We’ve Bought for their Cover or Title. I’m guilty as charged for judging books by their covers. I’m being more careful with this now after several disappointments, but I have definitely bought books due to an eye-catching cover.
In no particular order, these are some of the books I bought in the last year or so that stand-out for their cover design:
2. Wither by Lauren DeStefano – I was also intrigued by the premise, but the cover didn’t hurt. Love the bird and the birdcage and how all of the elements work together.
3. Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma – The water, the pose, the ribbon, and the colors all strike a mood and made me eager to read the book. It does bring to mind an atmospheric mood, which works for this story.
4. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin – It’s dark and mysterious, and the watery pose got my attention. I bought this one, but haven’t had the chance to read it yet and the mixed reviews are giving me pause.
5. Sea by Heidi R. Kling – I guess my Pisces nature is showing that I’m attracted to books with watery covers. Such a gorgeous blue cover and I wanted to read it without knowing much about the story.
6. Entangled by Cat Clarke – The cover is striking with the close-up of the model and her red hair. It seems mysterious and different, and that actually does describe the book.
7. Across the Universe by Beth Revis – The cover matches the contents of the book very well, and I like that you have to study it closely to see the faces. The outer space background and the tag line accurately represent the book as well. Also wanted to buy this one for the cool reversible cover.
8. Nightshade by Andrea Cremer – This cover is so gorgeous with the lavender color and the flowers. The cover doesn’t actually fit the book that well, and I guess that’s why the covers were redesigned. But, I do prefer this cover overall.
9. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand – This cover is so pretty and feminine, and I love the purple, with the forest in the background and the feather. Loved this book inside and out.
10. The Dark Divine by Bree Despain – I like the pop of purple color with the black background and the softness of it overall.
Bonus- Book Titles that caught my attention:
Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride
What books did you choose for their title or cover?