Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature from The Broke and the Bookish. Last week’s subject was light reads and this week we’re going to the dark side. Surprisingly, this week’s topic was easier for me than last weeks! I’ve been gravitating towards lighter books lately, though I’ve certainly read my share of tough subject books.
These books deal with the tough stuff:
1. Miracle by Elizabeth Scott – Miracle takes on the aftermath of a plane crash and PTSD. Living Dead Girl by Scott could also easily be on this list- it still haunts me to this day.
2. Live Through This by Mindy Scott – Live Through This is a gripping novel about abuse.
3. If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch – If You Find Me is a tale about abuse, and survival.
4. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson – Wintergirls is a chilling book about anorexia. Anderson’s Speak should easily be on this list as well.
5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky – I tend to think of this book being about depression and grief for the most part, but there are other tough issues explored as well.
6. Hold Still by Nina LaCour – This book centers on the aftermath of suicide.
7. Speechless by Hannah Harrington- Speechless is about a bully who becomes bullied herself.
8. Don’t Breathe a Word by Holly Cupala – Takes you inside the life of a runaway trying to survive on the streets.
9. The Survival Kit by Donna Freitas – Loved this book about grieving and healing after losing a mother, but after going through this myself this is the kind of book I avoid now. It’s so interesting how personal experience shapes our book choices.
10. Something Like Normal by Trish Doller – Male POV about a soldier experiencing PTSD on his return home from Afghanistan.
Do you prefer to read lighter books or those dealing with tough subjects? Are there any tough subject matters you avoid?