Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature from The Broke and the Bookish. Book covers have been a hot button topic lately with Maureen Johnson’s Cover Flip bringing lots of attention to book marketing. I definitely judge books by their covers, especially with debut authors. It was fun looking at covers this week and seeing the consistencies within an author’s body of work, and the changes with a paperback release.
This week I’m looking at book covers by author since generally I’m a fan of these authors, and it makes me wonder if I’d feel differently about any of these books if they had different covers. Hmm…
Top Ten Favorite Covers by Author:
1. Rainbow Rowell – I hate to pick favorites, but I just adore all of Rainbow Rowell’s book covers. I know authors don’t usually get any input into their cover art, but it seems like Rowell does get to collaborate her cover designs with her publisher, and they have all done a fantastic job. I wouldn’t mind owning prints of all these covers.
2. Sara Zarr – Zarr’s books are simple and pretty, with nice typography and the cover matches the tone of the book. Once Was Lost was recently released with a new title/cover. It’s nice, but I think the original is lovely too.
3. Colleen Hoover – Hoover’s books recently had a re-design, and they are striking and colorful and I wouldn’t mind owning this new set. But there is still something charming about the simplicity of the original Slammed and Point of Retreat covers.
4. David Levithan – Levithan’s covers are attractive and creative and match up well to the story within.
5. Jessi Kirby – All of Kirby’s covers appeal to me and really evoke a summer mood. Just realized I own hardcovers of all of these.
6. Robin Benway – I like the pop of color and vibe of all of Benway’s covers. The bright colors are consistent throughout even though stylistically they are so different. AKA is my favorite.
7. Katie Kacvinsky – I like the symbols used in Katie’s covers and how they relate to the books. It’s refreshing to see books with romance in them without kissing or couples used on the covers, so I was glad that the First Comes Love cover was redesigned with the pb release.
8. Gayle Forman – I’ve always been drawn to the original cover of If I Stay, and I’m not a fan of the later covers of If I Stay/Where She Went. I do like the Just One Day/Just One Year covers though and think they fit the book. I prefer the original cover of Just One Day rather than the pb, but it’s not too bad.
9. Ruta Sepetys – Between Shades of Gray is the rare exception that I like both in hardcover and paperback, though both covers are so different. Love the colors in Out of the Easy and how the style fits the theme of the book so well.
10. Jennifer E. Smith – The typography and style of these covers just make me happy, and these are books I definitely buy in hardcover.
What are your favorite book covers?