Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature from The Broke and the Bookish. I haven’t read too many scary books so far this fall, but I did get into the Halloween spirit looking for spooky covers for this week’s topic. Apparently I find black and white cover photos especially scary!
1. Hollow City by Ransom Riggs – Isn’t the cover creepy? Are you looking forward to the sequel of Miss Peregrine? (due out in January)
2. The Dark Between by Sonia Gensler- Ghosts! There’s something sinister about spooky vanishing portraits in a dark hallway.
3. Asylum by Madeleine Roux – A teen attends a summer program in a former asylum, and he and his friends uncover a dark mystery. Complete with creepy photos a la Miss Peregrine.
4. In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters – Creepy! I think this cover is scaring me off the book.
5. A Matter of Days by Amber Kizer – Spooky trees signify the desolate landscape of this post apocalyptic novel.
6. The End Games by T. Michael Martin – Zombies! The blurb begins “It happened on Halloween. The world ended. And a dangerous Game brought it back to life.”
7. Red Hill by Jamie McGuire – I’m a scaredy cat and even I wanted this book to be scarier. But that red hill and dark sky on the cover certainly sets a dark tone.
8. 17 & Gone by Nova Ren Suma – Such a cool, mysterious cover for a story about missing girls. I’m going to start this one soon.
9. Find Me by Romily Bernard – A computer hacker tries to solve a murder. I like the mysterious look of the cover and how it ties into the story.
10. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black – A cold dead hand sets the stage for this scary vampire novel.
Which cover do you think is the scariest? And what spooky covers made your list?