Top Ten Standout Side Characters in Books
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature from The Broke and the Bookish. This week we’re counting down the Top Ten Memorable Secondary Characters. I participated the first time this topic came up in May 2011 and I referred back to my list to see if there was any overlap. And yes, I still think highly enough of Cinna, Myrnin and Magnus Bane to want to include them on the 2013 update, but I restrained myself.
I was going to try and make it an all book-to-movie edition but I couldn’t get to ten. In no particular order, here are some of my favorite secondary characters:
1. Patrick from The Perks of Being a Wallflower – Patrick is witty and loyal, and takes freshman Charlie under his wing. Patrick got his “Nothing” nickname when he told his shop teacher to call him Patrick or call him nothing. Love him in the book and Ezra Miller’s portrayal in the movie.
2. Christina from Divergent – Christina helps Tris during Dauntless initiation learn the ropes and to break out of her Abnegation comfort zone. She’s tough as nails and ambitious, though her fear landscape reveals a fear of moths.
3. M from Warm Bodies - R’s zombie sidekick has a funny sense of humor. They attempt to have grunting conversations and pair up to hunt humans. Once he starts to regain his humanity he’s even funnier.
4. Johanna Mason from Catching Fire – Cinna’s my favorite forever, but I do think Johanna is really something else. She is fearless and tells it like it is. I hope that Jenna Malone does her character justice!
5. Dee from Just One Day – When I think about this book I first remember the Paris trip with Allyson/Lulu and Willem, but one character who makes an impression back home is Allyson’s friend Dee/D’Angelo. He’s one person who really gets her and helps her pull herself back together.
6. Isabelle from City of Bones – Isabelle is a shadowhunter who fights hard and looks good doing it. She’s a tough cookie but once you get to know her she’s loyal to the end.
7. The Garrett family in My Life Next Door – It’s impossible to pick just one Garrett! They are a package deal, though I have a soft spot for adorable George.
8. Mia from Vampire Academy – I like when the mean girls get redemption. Mia is Rose’s nemesis in VA but comes to be an ally and has quite a cool power.
9. Willie from Out of the Easy – Willie is the tough, shrewd businesswoman/madam who is also a mother figure to Josie. You don’t want to get on Willie’s bad side, but if you gain her trust you have an awesome person in your corner.
10. Isaac from The Fault in Our Stars – Isaac is the bridge between Hazel and Augustus and an important part of the friend trio. He loses his eye and loses his girlfriend at the same time but is a good friend to the end.
Your turn! Who are your favorite secondary characters?