Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature from The Broke and the Bookish. This week we are listing our favorite new-to-me authors of the year! I read some debuts I loved and also read some YA powerhouse authors for the first time.
1. Ellen Hopkins – I just recently read Collateral and was thoroughly impressed. I hope more readers give that book a try and I can’t wait to dive into Hopkins’ previous books.
2. Tammara Webber – Easy is one of my favorite reads of 2012, and probably the only book I’ve re-read this year!
3. Sarah Dessen – I read my first Dessen books this year finally, and she is deserving of the queen of contemporary YA title. Can’t wait to read The Moon and More!
4. Colleen Hoover – Slammed and Point of Retreat are lovely new adult reads, and this author also pointed me in the direction of The Sea of Tranquility, so yay for author recs! Looking forward to reading Hopeless later this month.
5. Tara Kelly – Tara Kelly incorporates music into her contemporary books, and music and YA are a great match in my book. So glad Kelly is writing a sequel to Amplified!
6. S.C. Stephens – I read Thoughtless and Effortless back to back and had a little book hangover afterwards. Her characters really stuck with me and sometimes you just need a good angsty series like this.
7. Marissa Meyer – Cinder is such a breath of fresh air, so unique and fun. I loaned out my copy of Scarlet and hear it’s another winner. Hope I get to read it soon!
8. Trish Doller – I liked Doller’s debut Something Like Normal a lot – good male POV about a soldier returning home from Afghanistan. One of my favorite contemporary reads this year.
9. Gillian Flynn – I couldn’t put down Gone Girl – what a crazy, wild ride! And Flynn is writing a YA book now, so that’s something to look forward to.
10. Jennifer E. Smith – Smith has 5 books under her belt, but I’ve only read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight so far. 2013’s This is What Happy Looks Like looks so cute too.
What authors did you discover this year?