Today’s topic is reviewing audiobooks. Discuss the essentials of audiobook reviewing. What do you make sure to include? What do you want to see when you read other people’s reviews?
Since this is only my second year listening and reviewing audiobooks, there are many more experienced bloggers better equipped to address this topic. But, there are some things I look for in audiobook reviews to help me make a decision whether to listen or not, and I strive to hit these points in my reviews as well. I’ve listened to about 50 audiobooks so far and am getting a feel for what works for me with audiobooks and with that experience I’m starting to get a little more comfortable with my reviews. I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s opinion on this topic and hopefully will come out of it a better reviewer.
Just a few things I look for in audiobook reviews:
1. The Basics – Name of the title, author, and narrator, and running time. A short summary about the book is helpful too. I try to write my own book summary and keep the spoilers to a minimum.
2. The Narrator – This is honestly what I want to read about most in audiobook reviews. Is the audiobook multi-voiced or does it have a single narrator, does the narrator use different voices for each character, and is the voice appropriate to the character and style of the book? How is the narrator’s reading pace, are there any awkward pauses or anything else that stands out with the narration? Sometimes I find there’s not much to comment on regarding the narration, so even a short sentence or two is fine.
3. Book vs. Audio – Why seek out this book in audio format – what special quality can you get from the audio vs. the book? Did this audiobook make you want to go out of your way to keep listening? (Do more housework/gardening/drive the long way home) Or was the audiobook a struggle to get through? Even though I love audiobooks, sometimes the audiobook doesn’t do the book any favors, so you may suggest picking up the book instead.
4. Personality – Like reviewing a book, share your experience with the audiobook and what worked and didn’t work for you personally in your own style.
5. Sound Quality & Special Effects – Are there any special effects or music in the audiobook – did they enhance or detract from the book? Any technical issues stand out for you?
What do you look for in audiobook reviews?
Audiobook week happenings for today at The Reading Date:
Audiobook review: Bossypants by Tina Fey.
Audiobook Giveaway of two best selling thrillers: Stolen Prey and The Storm. Giveaway ends June 28th.