Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature from The Broke and the Bookish. I find this week’s topic one of the toughest of the year- it’s when we jot down our resolutions!
My goals get less ambitious every year. For instance, this year the only book challenge I’m signing up for is the Goodreads reading challenge. Sure, there are categories that I want to read more of this year, but at this point I have to admit that I suck at reading challenges. I never remember to update my progress, and once I make a list of titles to read that’s like a surefire way for me to never think about the book again.
Wow, I’m starting this off on such a sour note!
These are my bookish/personal resolutions:
1. Read 130 books – that comes to 2.5 books a week, and less than I read last year so it seems realistic enough.
2. Shop my bookshelves before buying more books – I need to read the books I already own instead of the new shiny releases, however tempting they are. And on that note…
3. Continue to utilize the library – I can put a new release book on hold and if I’m at the top of the list I can read it the week of publication. Overdrive is an awesome resource for audiobooks, too. And if I have to buy it…
4. Try to shop local bookstores more – I’m lucky to have several good independent bookstores in my city, plus Barnes & Noble. (They’ve been having good sales lately!)
5. Cull my bookshelves – Interests change and even though I get attached to my books, I know that the space could be better utilized (with books I’m actually going to read). I started culling last year and found some places to donate but I need to keep on top of it.
6. Keep an organized blog – Update the review archive in a timelier manner, delete non-relevant posts, keep calendar updated with post ideas, make it a habit to cross-post, etc.
7. Make book reviews fun – I think a lot of us have review burnout. I don’t have an answer to combat review fatigue but I’m going to try out a few different things to make it fun. And I’m not going to force a review if I’m not feeling it- sometimes there’s just nothing to say and that’s okay. And on the same wavelength…
8. Don’t get in a blog rut – Add more variety to my blog posts so that it’s not always the same old routine. We’re starting to blog about movies and TV more, and I want to continue to write more pop culture posts. Also, looking at year-end recaps I can see some posts are popular year after year, so I want to freshen up those posts or write about the topic again.
9. Read what makes me happy – I have to read what my heart wants or I’ll start to resent this blog. Reading a review book I’m not feeling is not good for anyone, so I need to DNF more, re-read a favorite, or read something I’ve been wanting to read for years.
10. Take that book on the treadmill – So cliché, I know, but work out more! I was in a good groove for a while but fell off the wagon when I got injured. I know exercising is good for my body and my mood so I’ve got to make it a habit again.
Do we have any bookish resolutions in common? What do you hope to accomplish this year?